This simple, protein packed Kidney Bean Salad with Lemon & Parsley is filled with texture & bright, refreshing, zesty flavours. Perfect for a healthy, light lunch or as a side!
Even in Winter the odd salad is necessary to lighten things up and I’ve been going all out with this Kidney Bean Salad of late. It wasn’t intended for here. I just made it for lunch one day and shared it on my Instagram stories. I didn’t think anyone would be interested but you proved me wrong with lots of messages asking me for the recipe.
This protein packed salad is loaded with kidney beans, chickpeas, cucumber, sweet onion and parsley and is finished off with a lovely drizzle of lemony, garlicky dressing.
It’s bright, refreshing and just perfect served with my Quick & Easy Homemade Pita Bread for an easy lunch or dinner.
With all the beans it’s already pretty substantial, but if you want to make it even more so, try stirring some cooked and cooled quinoa or rice through it. Some cubed tofu would also be a great addition.
For dinner last night we had it served with brown rice, a big dollop of hummus and warm pitas straight from the oven. It was so good!
Quick and easy to make!
Open a couple cans of beans, or cook ’em up in your Instant Pot (<<affiliate link) because that thing cooks them real fast with no soaking needed!
I love my IP – It’s like a bean lovers best friend ????
Mix up those beans with some cubed cucumber, a bit of finely chopped onion, a few fistfuls of parsley, squeeze a lemon, mince some garlic and you’re just about done.
This is why I am loving this Kidney Bean Salad:
- It’s super healthy & quick to make
- Beans = protein and we have a double bean situation going on with kidney beans and chickpeas
- Pretty colours!
- With all of that chopped cucumber and lemony zestiness, it’s really refreshing
- It keeps well in the fridge for a couple of days and is great for packing up in lunch boxes
Kidney Bean Salad here we come!
For more summery salad recipes, check out these great options:
And if you love this recipe, please do checkout my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Kidney Bean Salad with Lemon & Parsley
For the salad
- 1½ cups or a 15oz can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1½ cups or a 15oz can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 medium cucumber cut into small cubes
- ½ medium sweet white or red onion , or one small onion - finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley , a few big handfuls prior to chopping
For the dressing
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice , usually around 1 large juicy lemon or 1½ medium ones
- 3 tablespoons olive oil , optional (omit to make oil-free)
- 2 cloves garlic , minced very finely
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sugar , or a little drop of maple syrup or agave - taste as you go so you get the balance between tangy and sweet perfect for you
- salt , to taste
- cracked black pepper , to taste
- water , if needed
For the salad
- Put the drained and rinsed beans in a large salad bowl. Add the cucumber, onion and parsley and stir to combine.
For the dressing
- There are 2 ways to make the dressing. You can simply whisk all of the ingredients together, or put them in a jar and give them a good shake. If you omit the oil you might need to add a touch of water to make up for the lost volume. Or, if you want a creamier dressing and don't mind a much sharper lemon flavour then you can use the whole lemon rather than just the juice. Cut the peel from it with a sharp knife. I cut each end off first then you can stand it on a board and easily cut down and around. Add the whole lemon with the other ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth. Then add enough water to thin it to the consistency you like. You might want to add a touch more sugar or maple syrup too.You will end up with more dressing than you need by doing this but you can store leftovers in the fridge for another day.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan ________________________________________________________ Calories are calculated including the oil and without sweetener of any kind. 1 serving = 1 cup.