Super rich, insanely creamy Instant Pot Tomato Soup. Made with canned tomatoes for convenience, it's really quick & easy to make & involves minimal washing up. Dinner win!
I am totally that girl who loves a piping hot bowl of soup when it's chilly out and aside from my Instant Pot Red Lentil Soup, this Instant Pot Tomato Soup has got to be my all time favourite. I absolutely adore my Easy Tomato Basil Soup, but it's made using fresh tomatoes and I don't always have enough on hand to make it. However, I do always have a can of tomatoes which means that I can make this Instant Pot Tomato Soup at the drop of a hat.
Add to that the convenience of using an Instant Pot and it's now my go to quick and easy dinner, perfect for when your fresh produce selection is looking pitiful and you really can't be bothered to go shopping.
If you don't have an Instant Pot don't worry, because I have included stove top directions too!
I am quite literally obsessed with my Instant Pot (<<< affiliate link) in case you haven't noticed:
A slow but steady stream of new Instant Pot recipes are appearing here and I think that it's a trend that will continue because this little appliance makes my life so much easier. One pot, no watching, no having to stir. Just throw it all in, walk away and forget about it. It even keeps the food warm if you forget about it or aren't ready to eat. Busy Mom win!
How to make Instant Pot Tomato Soup
This Instant Pot Tomato Soup is made using simple ingredients and is extremely low effort.
You start by sautéing the onions and garlic right there in the Instant Pot. No extra washing up is going on here today! Then you quite literally throw everything else in, give it a quick stir and cook on high pressure for 7 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, then blend it up until silky smooth.
I like to blend mine in my Blendtec blender (<<<affiliate link) because it makes the soup incredibly smooth and creamy.
If you have one I highly recommend the extra step of ladling out the soup and blending it in batches (it won't all fit in one go). If you don't though, a stick blender right there in the Instant Pot will do a good job and save you a bit of cleaning up.
This is why I am loving this Instant Pot Tomato Soup:
- It's so easy!
- It's super thick and creamy
- No oil is necessary
- It's healthy and low in calories
- Everyone likes tomato soup (no arguments at dinner time!)
- It freezes well and leftovers reheat perfectly
For more Vegan Instant Pot recipes, check out these great options:
- Vegan Instant Pot Portobello Pot Roast
- Instant Pot Lentil Dal
- Teriyaki Instant Pot Rice
- Seasoned Pressure Cooker Black Beans
- Healthy Chocolate Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- Vegan Instant Pot Potato Curry
And if you love this recipe, please do check out my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Instant Pot Tomato SoupAuthor:
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 796mls / 27oz / 3⅓ cups canned crushed tomatoes , or passata
- 156mls / 5.5oz / 1 heaping ½ cup tomato paste , NOT sauce or ketchup (tomato puree in the UK)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 70g / ½ slightly heaping cup raw cashew nuts , not roasted
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoons sugar *
- 1200mls / 5 cups water
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS (My Instant Pot is a 6 quart. If yours is a different size you will need to scale the recipe up or down accordingly).
- Saute the onions in a couple tablespoons of water in the Instant Pot. Once starting to go golden, add the garlic and cook stirring frequently for another minute then turn off the Instant Pot.
- Add all of the other ingredients. Put the lid on and seal the vent. Set to high pressure for 7 minutes then allow the pressure to release naturally.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth, or use a stick blender in the Instant Pot (the soup will be creamier if you use a blender). Return to the Instant Pot. If you prefer a thinner soup, boil some water in a kettle and add it gradually until you get the thickness you like. Check seasoning and add more salt, pepper or sugar if necessary before serving.
On the stove top
- Saute the onions in a couple tablespoons of water in a large pan. Once they are starting to go golden, add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add all of the other ingredients and cook over a medium heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer soup to a blender and blend until smooth, or use a powerful stick blender in the pan (the soup will be creamier if you use a blender). Return to the pan. If you prefer a thinner soup, boil some water in a kettle and add it gradually until you get the thickness you like. Check seasoning and add more salt, pepper or sugar if necessary before serving.
- Sugar brings out the flavour of the tomatoes and really helps the overall flavour of the soup. I like to use 2 tablespoons in this recipe. If you aren't sure add 1 tablespoon at the beginning, then taste when cooked and add another tablespoon if necessary.
If you did, be a ☆ and let me know what you think by rating it and commenting below. Tag me on Instagram too. I am @avirtualvegan and my hashtag is #avirtualvegan ________________________________________________________
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.