Soft, sweet butternut squash & spinach curry. Quick, healthy, easy, creamy, totally delicious and ready in only 30 minutes!
I adore curry. It is one of my all time favourite foods and whilst I enjoy cooking elaborate and often complicated traditional curry dishes as a treat at the weekends, for a mid week meal, after a hectic day, quick and easy wins every time.
This Butternut Squash & Spinach Curry is high in delicious, creamy, curry taste but low in effort. It can also be cooked from start to finish in only thirty minutes and is mild enough for the whole family to enjoy. If however you want to inject a little heat into the mix, there is the option to add some fresh chilli or dried chilli pepper flakes.
Serve this curry with a steaming pile of freshly cooked rice or warm naan bread. If you are feeling extra hungry be a devil and have both. Don’t forget the mango chutney too!
If you love curry as much as me then you might also like to try my Curry Hummus. It is the bomb!
I would love to hear your feedback on my Butternut Squash & Spinach Curry so please leave your comments below. You can also share your pictures with me on Instagram (@avirtualvegan) and add the hashtag #avirtualvegan so I don’t miss them.
Easy Butternut Squash & Spinach Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (if you don't have coconut oil then you can sub it for whatever oil you usually use)
- 1 medium onion , sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped finely
- 1 fresh chilli pepper or 1/2 teaspoon of , dried chilli flakes, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder , or cornstarch
- 1 medium butternut squash , peeled, deseeded & chopped
- 398 - 400ml | 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 240mls | 1 cup water
- 3 large handfuls spinach
- 1 squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
Heat a large pan and add the oil.
Sauté onion until golden
- Add the garlic and chilli if you are using it and sauté for a minute or two longer.
- Add the curry powder and continue cooking for another minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the arrowroot or cornflour and stir well again. It will go a little clumpy and stick to the bottom a bit but don't worry.
- Gradually add the water, stirring as you go to get any lumps out.
- Add the butternut squash and the coconut milk and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Simmer over a medium heat until the butternut squash pieces are tender (15 - 20 minutes depending on how big you cut your chunks)
- Add the spinach. You might struggle to fit it in but it will wilt very quickly and then you will be able to stir it into the sauce.
- Just before serving add a squeeze of lemon juice and stir to incorporate.
This recipe has been submitted to the Tinned Tomatoes Meat Free Monday link up and the Try A Bite Tuesday Link Up. Check it out for more recipe inspiration!