With just 4 simple ingredients you could be tucking into a bowl of this sweet & fragrantly warming, velvety smooth Vegan Carrot Soup. It's like a surprise burst of warm winter sunshine in a bowl.
The first signs of Spring are beginning to appear but with a chill still in the air and the heaven's opening at every given opportunity I am still enjoying lots of soothing comfort food.
Simple soups are a lunch staple for me and I cook up a pot weekly to reheat as I need throughout the week. This fragrant Creamy Carrot Soup is a regular in my lunch rotation. Although it takes a little time to roast the carrot, onion and ginger for this soup it is all hands off time and once they are soft and roasted to perfection the next steps couldn't be simpler. Transfer the vegetables to a blender, add the coconut milk and blitz until silky smooth. Pour into a pan, add some water and seasoning and warm through gently. It's as simple as that.
The finished soup is thick and velvety with earthy sweetness from the carrots, spicy warmth from the ginger and rich creaminess from the coconut milk. Just looking at those vibrant orange hues warms you up. It's like a surprise burst of warm winter sunshine in a bowl.
I love to serve this Creamy Carrot Soup drizzled with good extra virgin olive oil (I love this one. It is expensive but as a finishing oil a little goes a long way) and a scattering of crunchy golden croutons. (To see how I make my croutons check out my Creamy Leek & Potato Soup recipe). Roasted pumpkin seeds are also great with it, as is a big slice (or two) of fresh crusty bread!
For more great vegan soup recipes check out these great options:
And if you love this recipe, please do check out my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Creamy Vegan Carrot SoupAuthor:
- 10 large carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 inch long fresh ginger root
- 1 tablespoon oil (coconut oil or any other mild tasting oil suitable for roasting) - see recipe notes for oil-free option
- 400mls / 1 can coconut milk
- 960mls / 4 cups water (around 1000 mls)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Peel the carrots. Chop into large (about an inch long) chunks.
- Peel and chop the onion into chunks about the same size as the carrot
- Cut the ginger into 2 to 3 pieces. Don't worry about peeling it.
- Place all the vegetables (including the ginger) into a shallow oven proof pan, coat with oil and cook until tender. Mine too about 50 minutes. Check them by prodding with a fork.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven.
- Now blitz the vegetables with the liquid in a blender .
- You will probably need to do this in 2 or 3 batches. Use the coconut milk in the first batch, then in the subsequent batches use the water. Just as much as you need to puree the vegetables.
- Once everything is smooth and creamy pour into a pan , add any remaining water and season to taste. I used 3 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper but everyones tastes vary so add as much or as little as you need.
- Warm through gently in the pan and serve.
Nutritional information is provided for convenience & as a courtesy. The data is a computer generated estimate so should be used as a guide only.