Ridiculously crunchy Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted Chickpeas. The perfect savory snack, soup, or salad topper, and unlike most roasted chickpea recipes they stay crunchy and won't get soft!
If you love crispy roasted chickpeas and cheese & onion chips/crisps then this Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted Chickpeas recipe is for you!
These oven-roasted chickpeas taste like British cheese & onion crisps...Crunchy, savory, salty, cheesy, oniony, and addictive. Once you start you can't stop. Don't say I didn't warn you!
In this post:
Here are the ingredients you need at a glance, along with some important notes and substitution ideas:
- Canned chickpeas - You need the chickpeas from the can and the aquafaba (the liquid in the can). The aquafaba is what sticks the seasoning to the chickpeas.
- Nutritional yeast - This is what makes your crispy chickpeas delightfully cheesy. It's just perfect because it's savory, full of umami, cheesy flavor, and it's dry which is important for keeping the chickpeas as crunchy as possible.
- Onion, garlic powder, & salt - Our seasonings for even more salty, savory, flavor.
How To Make Perfectly Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
Can't wait to make Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted Chickpeas? The full printable recipe is below, but first, let me give you a quick summary:
- Roast the chickpeas. Just the chickpeas. Nothing else.
- Remove and coat with aquafaba and seasoning then bake again for a short time.
- Turn the oven off and leave them in there until the oven is completely cool. This dries them out really thoroughly so they stay crispy and won't go soft when stored.
What Makes This Recipe Different
You might have noticed that most roasted chickpea recipes are great when they are freshly made but tend to start getting a little soft within a few hours. Well, that's where this recipe is different. Follow my instructions and your chickpeas will stay perfectly crispy for weeks when stored in an airtight container. Read on to learn my secret!
This recipe is very versatile so feel free to switch up the seasonings. You can use any of your favorite spice blends. Some really nice flavor pairing ideas include:
- Curry powder
- Cumin and smoked paprika
- Turmeric & ginger
- Salt & freshly cracked black pepper
- Taco seasoning
- Chili powder, cumin & garlic powder
Ways To Enjoy Roasted Chickpeas
Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted Chickpeas make the perfect snack. They are just perfect as nibbles with a cold beer or a glass of wine. Serve them up in bowls as an appetizer at parties and potlucks.
They are also great for adding to packed lunches as a healthy snack, using as a salad or soup topper instead of vegan croutons, and for adding to wraps or scattering over bowl meals.
Tips For Storing
Allow to cool in the oven as per the recipe instructions, then store your Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted Chickpeas in an airtight container. I find they keep better in glass jars than plastic containers. They will keep like this for weeks or even months.
More Chickpea Recipes
If you try this recipe, let me know how you like it by leaving a comment and rating below! And be sure to join my mailing list for more deliciousness!
Cheese & Onion Crispy Roasted ChickpeasAuthor:
- 1½ cups (1 x 15oz can) chickpeas
- 1½ tablespoons aquafaba (liquid from the can of chickpeas) , or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- heaping ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- heaping ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drain the chickpeas (don't rinse) and reserve 1½ tablespoons of the aquafaba (chickpea liquid) for later.
- Pour chickpeas onto the baking tray and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and carefully pour the chickpeas into a bowl then add the aquafaba and toss to coat.
- Add the other ingredients and toss really well to make sure all the chickpeas are coated then pour back onto the baking tray, return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven off but do not open the door and leave them in the oven until it's completely cool. I make them in the evening and leave them in the oven overnight.
- Once cool transfer the chickpeas to an airtight container. I find they keep better in a glass jar.