These light & fluffy lemon & blueberry cornmeal muffins are absolutely bursting with lemon flavour & stuffed full of plump blueberries.
I love blueberries and I love lemon and as I have a plentiful supply of both I decided to make some Lemon & Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins.
You guys, the result was amazing!
I have eaten a lot of muffins in my time and these are by far the lemoniest muffins I have ever tasted. They are totally delicious and have just the right amount of sugar to balance the sharpness of the lemon. The plump little blueberries have their part to play in this too and work perfectly with the zingy citrus flavour.
These Lemon & Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins are:
The most beautiful lemon colour
Light and fluffy
Full of lemony zinginess
Bursting with sweet, plump little blueberries
And the slight graininess of the cornmeal lends a delicious texture to the tender sponge and soft fruit.
You guys just have to make these!
I would love to know what you think of my Lemon & Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins so please let me know in the comments below. I would also love to see your pictures. Tag me on Instagram @avirtualvegan and add the hashtag #avirtualvegan so I don’t miss it!
Yields 12 muffins
These light and fluffy lemon & blueberry cornmeal muffins are absolutely bursting with lemon flavour and stuffed full of plump, sweet blueberries. The addition of cornmeal lends a delicious texture to the tender sponge and soft fruit.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
- 1 heaping cup of blueberries
- 1.5 cups of sieved all purpose flour (In the UK use seived plain flour).
- 3/4 cup of fine cornmeal (plus an extra tablespoon or two for sprinkling on the top before baking)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- Half a teaspoon baking soda
- Half a cup of cane sugar (any granulated sugar will work but avoid darker ones like brown sugar or coconut sugar as their flavour is too strong and will mask the lemon)
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil (liquid measure)
- 1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a muffin tin with liners
- Put your blueberries in a small bowl
- Take 2 tablespoons of flour from your measured 1.5 cups and sprinkle it over the blueberries then stir them well so that they are coated in the flour. Set aside.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl or jug
- Make sure your oven is at temperature and your muffin pans are lined before you mix the wet with the dry as you will now need to work quickly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only just enough to incorporate the flour. Do not over mix or beat the mixture!
- You will start to see the mixture bubble a bit which is why you need to move quickly to get them in the oven.
- As soon as you can no longer see any bits of flour pour in the blueberries and any remaining flour in the bottom of the bowl they were in.
- Stir quickly to incorporate.
- Fill your muffin cases evenly and sprinkle some cornmeal on the top of each one.
- Get them in the oven as quickly as you can.
- Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer when inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.