Homemade vegan coconut macaroons that are sweet, moist, and chewy on the outside with a gorgeous toasty, golden brown colour and a hint of caramel flavour which compliments the coconut perfectly. They’re made with just 4 simple ingredients and are naturally gluten free!
Hey friends it's coconut time!! And it's all squashed up in perfect Vegan Coconut Macaroon form.
Not your regular coconut macaroons though, because they contain no egg white and no refined white sugar.
These are sweet, coconut-ty and delicious and you will notice, unusually golden brown and toasty looking too.
Wanna know why?
These macaroons are ALL about the coconut! We've got shredded coconut, coconut sugar and coconut milk going on. If you don't like coconut, walk away now ... These are not for you. But if you do, you're going to love them!
They are perfectly sweet, moist in the middle and slightly chewy on the outside and they are a lovely toasty, golden brown colour thanks to the coconut sugar.
As you know if you've used it before, coconut sugar has a caramel-y flavour and it compliments the coconut in this recipe really well.
What makes this recipe really fantastic is that there are only 4 ingredients (plus a tiny bit of salt) and no special equipment is needed to make them. Just a bowl, a spatula or spoon, an ice-cream or cookie scoop and a baking sheet. And they are so quick and simple to make. Mix it all up in a bowl in minutes, scoop them out and bake. Easy peasy!
As lovely as they are plain though, they are like OMG over the top if you dip the bottoms in some melted chocolate.
Or just a pretty little drizzle on top? How could you resist?
Are Coconut Macaroons Vegan?
Regular coconut macaroons are not vegan because they are bound together with egg-white. In this recipe though, I use a combination of coconut milk and cornstarch to bind them. It works incredibly well.
These are also gluten-free vegan coconut macaroons. Lots of recipe use flour as a binder but as I use cornstarch to make them completely gluten-free. Using cornstarch improves the texture a lot too.
How do you make Vegan Coconut Macaroons?
SEE MY VIDEO FOR A VISUAL GUIDE. FOR INGREDIENTS & FULL INSTRUCTIONS PLEASE SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST
Here's what you need to make Vegan Coconut Macaroons:
And here's how it's done:
Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl
Stir together then add coconut milk and stir again
Scoop up with an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop, pack it in tightly, then place on a lined baking tray
Bake, allow to cool (or not!) and enjoy!
1 - Line your baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. If you don't, these macaroons will stick to the tray.
2 - Use an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop for perfectly domed macaroons.
3 - Pack the mixture into the scoop really tightly each time so they look neat and tidy and stay together well.
4 - Don't over-bake as it will dry them out.
5 - Do not attempt to substitute any ingredients or to reduce the amount of sugar. The sugar doesn't just function as a sweetener, it also helps hold them together.
Some ways you can adapt this recipe include:
- Dip in a puddle of melted chocolate!
- Add a small handful of dried cranberries or chopped dried apricot
- Add a small handful of chocolate chips
- Drizzle with melted vegan white chocolate
If you are looking for Vegan Coconut Macaroons that aren't loaded with coconut oil and refined sugar, then you've come to the right place, and they are just perfect as they are, so no need to adapt at all unless you really want to!
For more vegan coconut recipes check out these great options:
- Healthy No Bake Bars
- Double Chocolate Coconut Vegan Granola
- Creamy Coconut Carrot & Ginger Soup
- Chocolate Coconut Cream Cookies
And if you love this recipe, please do check out my cookbook, and subscribe to my email list for a fabulous FREE eCookbook featuring my top 10 recipes. Being on the list means you will be first to see my new recipes and you’ll be kept in the loop on all things new and exciting too!
Vegan Coconut Macaroons
- 2 packed cups / 180 g shredded coconut
- ½ cup / 100 g coconut sugar * see notes
- 5 tablespoons / 37.5 grams cornstarch , known as cornflour in the UK (arrowroot does not work as well so I do not recommend using it instead)
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- ½ cup & 2 tablespoons / 150 mls canned coconut milk (full fat not light) * see notes
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162 °c) and line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- To a medium sized mixing bowl, add the coconut, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir together really well.
- Gradually add the coconut milk, stirring as you go until the mixture is wet enough that you can squeeze it together in your hand and it stays mostly in one piece. You might not need all of the milk.
- With an ice cream scoop or cookie scoop that holds about 2 - 2½ tablespoons, scoop out the mixture, and press it in really tightly with the back of a spoon or spatula to compact it. Then dollop it out gently onto the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray.
LOOKING FOR MORE RECIPES?
Be sure to check out my recipe index where you can browse and filter recipes by meal type, category and dietary preference.