Lemon & Blueberry Cornmeal Muffins
These light and fluffy lemon & blueberry cornmeal muffins are absolutely bursting with lemon flavour and stuffed full of plump, sweet blueberries. The addition of cornmeal lends a delicious texture to the tender sponge and soft fruit.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 110g | 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries , frozen can be used too
- 187g | 1.5 cups all purpose flour or cake flour, (In the UK use plain flour).
- 115g | 3/4 cup fine cornmeal (plus an extra tablespoon or two for sprinkling on the top before baking)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 100g | ½ cup cane sugar (any granulated sugar will work but avoid darker ones like brown sugar or coconut sugar as their flavour is too strong and will mask the lemon)
- 180ml | ¾ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 60mls | 1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid measure)
- 120mls | 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons)
- 3 lemons , the zest of
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Line a muffin tin with liners
Put your blueberries in a small bowl
Take 2 tablespoons of flour from your measured 1.5 cups and sprinkle it over the blueberries then stir them well so that they are coated in the flour. Set aside.
Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl
Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl or jug
Make sure your oven is at temperature and your muffin pans are lined before you mix the wet with the dry as you will now need to work quickly.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix only just enough to incorporate the flour. Do not over mix or beat the mixture!
You will start to see the mixture bubble a bit which is why you need to move quickly to get them in the oven.
As soon as you can no longer see any bits of flour pour in the blueberries and any remaining flour in the bottom of the bowl they were in.
Stir quickly to incorporate.
Fill your muffin cases evenly and sprinkle some cornmeal on the top of each one.
Get them in the oven as quickly as you can.
Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer when inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean.
Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 2.5g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 166mg | Fiber: 1.4g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 1% | Vitamin C: 9% | Calcium: 4% | Iron: 6%