Easy Tomato Basil Soup
Juicy, plump tomatoes & aromatic fresh basil come together beautifully in this simple, fresh and vibrant soup which takes only ten minutes to make.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time12 mins
Servings: 4 - 6 servings
- 1 teaspoon olive oil optional, you can use a drop of water to sauté instead to keep the recipe oil free
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 large cloves of garlic chopped very finely I like lots of garlic so used 4 but adjust to suit your tastes
- 7 cups / 1400 g of chopped fresh tomatoes see recipe notes
- 1 handful of basil leaves and stalks are fine
- 2 teaspoons salt adjust to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper adjust to taste
Heat a pan over a medium heat and add the oil or a couple tablespons of water.
When hot add the onions and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes until just starting to turn golden.
Add the chopped tomatoes. Continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring every few minutes until the tomatoes have broken down and are soft.
Remove from the heat and add basil and salt and pepper then blitz in a blender or with a stick immersion blender until smooth.
I have tried this recipe with large tomatoes and grape/cherry tomatoes and it works well with both, or even a mixture of the two.
Leftovers will keep int he fridge for 4 to 5 days and reheat really well in a pan or in a microwave.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 78.9kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 643mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1900IU | Vitamin C: 47.9mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.2mg