Apple Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel
Deliciously soft & fluffy apple muffins, loaded with sweet, tender fruit and topped with an irresistibly crumbly, cinnamony, streusel topping. Want one?
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
For the streusel
- 3 tablespoons liquid coconut oil see recipe note for oil-free option)
- 40g | 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon spelt flour or all purpose or whole wheat
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (can be left out to make the recipe nut-free))
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tablespoons granulated sugar (any kind)
For the muffins
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 3 tablespoons water
- 340g | 3 cups spelt flour , you could use ½ wholewheat ½ all purpose instead
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 115g | ½ cup coconut sugar , any granulated sugar is fine as a sub
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 255mls | 1 cup + 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar , or lemon juice
- 130g | ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 medium | 1.5 heaping cups apples , peeled & chopped
For the muffins
Mix the ground flax with the water in a small bowl and set aside.
Add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl.
In a jug or another bowl combine all of the wet ingredients.
Add the flax mixture to the wet ingredients and stir well.
Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and stir just enough to combine everything. Do not stir too much.
Add the chopped apple to the batter and stir to distribute evenly.
Divide the mixture between 12 muffin tins. Fill each one right to the very top of the muffin cases.
Sprinkle the streusel topping over the muffins and press it in gently with your fingers, then place in the oven.
Bake for around 25 minutes or until a tooth pick/skewer can be inserted and comes out clean.
Remove from the tin and cool on a cooling rack
I like to use silicone muffin liners as nothing ever sticks in them. They are also more environmentally friendly as they last forever. If you use paper liners there is a chance the muffins will stick to the paper a bit as the batter is oil-free. This recipe can be made oil-free by omitting the streusel topping.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 223kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5.3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 215mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 1.8mg