Sweet syrupy roasted strawberries served over thick, rich dairy free vanilla bean cream. These Vegan Strawberries and Cream are extravagantly delicious but so easy to make!
If you have never roasted strawberries before then you need to go do it now!
They are amazing!
I will be honest and say that I had never roasted them myself until a few weeks ago. It hadn’t even crossed my mind until I bought a punnet of strawberries that were a little tasteless as happens sometimes. I was trying to figure out what I could do with them other than throwing them into a smoothie, all whilst roasting some veggies for dinner. Then it dawned on me that I could roast the strawberries too. If roasting vegetables enhances their flavour and makes them much sweeter than they are in their original form then perhaps it would work for strawberries too.
So I did it and OMG they were so good! You know that intense tingly feeling you get in the back of your mouth/jaw occasionally when you eat something really good? Well that happened…
I ate most of them straight off the baking tray but managed to salvage enough to make Roasted Strawberries with Vanilla Bean Cream for dessert.
This Vegan Strawberries and Cream dessert is:
Bursting with flavour
And I wanted to say ‘unctuous’ as I kind of like that word, but then I saw this article by the Huffpost entitled “Food Words We Hate” and guess which word is the anti-word of the day?
If you have any of the roasted strawberries left over, they are absolutely great used as a topping for pancakes or waffles! Try them with my Healthy oil-Free Vegan Pancakes For 1 or on my Vegan New York Cheesecake!
Vegan Strawberries and Cream
For the strawberries
For the vanilla bean cream
- 150g | 1 cup soaked raw cashew nuts (measurement is for the dry nuts before soaking / soak for at least 2 hours)
- 120mls | ½ cup non dairy milk (I used my homemade cashew milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean powder (can use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract but the flavour will not be as good)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (optional)
For the Strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash and allow your strawberries to dry, or pat them dry gently with kitchen paper
- Put the strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle over the vanilla bean powder then the maple syrup.
- Stir well so they are all coated
- Use a good non-stick baking tray or line a tray with a silpat
- Pour the strawberry mixture onto the tray and spread them out well.
- Place the tray in the oven.
- After 30 mins carefully turn each strawberry over. I used a fork and a spoon to do this.
- Put back in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the vanilla bean cream
- Add all the ingredients to a high powered blender.
- Blend / process until completely smooth.
- Serve the strawberries with the vanilla bean cream.