A sweet, creamy Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie stuffed with all sorts of healthy ingredients plus a beautiful smear of homemade raspberry chia jam. The perfect satisfying breakfast or snack with a whopping 8 grams of protein!
Here I am again with a smoothie inspired by one of my favourite combos ever……Peanut Butter & Jelly. I have Canada to thank for this revelation.
I will be completely honest and tell you that I used to think people who ate peanut butter and jelly (or jam as us Brits call it) were weird. It’s a flavour combo that isn’t all that popular in the UK but I knew of it from watching movies and TV programs from across the pond. I just couldn’t imagine peanut butter and jam together even though I loved both.
PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY ♡
Then we moved to Canada and the peanut butter and jelly influence grew and grew. The popularity eventually wore me down and one day I gave in and tried it on toast. That was it. I was hooked and I have been eating it ever since.
I have been going Luscious Lemon Cheesecake Smoothie crazy of late. It’s ridiculously delicious but it is possible to have too much of a good thing and I needed a change. That’s when this one happened.
The ingredients in this Healthy Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie are simple and affordable. It is super healthy, it’s naturally sweetened and it is also naturally gluten-free.
Having to make the raspberry chia jam adds one extra step to the making of this smoothie but it is so worth it. It is much healthier than using store bought, highly sweetened jam/jelly alternatives and it is incredibly easy to do. No cooking is involved and all you need is a fork!
HOW TO MAKE MY HEALTHY PEANUT BUTTER & JELLY SMOOTHIE
- At least 20 minutes before you plan to make the smoothie, or even the night before, make the simple raspberry chia jam by mashing up some defrosted frozen raspberries with chia seeds and a tiny drop of maple syrup.
- Add all of the smoothie ingredients to a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Smear raspberry jam all over the inside of a large glass, then pour in the smoothie.
The contrast between the bright raspberry pink and the green in the glass is so beautiful ♡.
WATCH OUT FOR BLOCKAGES 😉
Just a warning though, if you use a straw it will probably get blocked up from time to time with a lump of chia jam. It’s worth struggling your way through though, or just drink it straight from the glass and use a spoon to scoop up the yummy raspberry jam as you get to it.
If you give this Healthy Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie a try be a ☆ and let me know what you think in the comments below. I love to read your comments You can also share a pic on Instagram. I am @avirtualvegan and if you use the hashtag #avirtualvegan it will make sure I don’t miss them.
Yields 1 large smoothie
A sweet, creamy Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie stuffed with all sorts of healthy ingredients plus a beautiful smear of homemade raspberry chia jam. The perfect satisfying breakfast or snack!
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- ½ cup | around 60g frozen raspberries allowed to defrost (measured/weighed whilst still frozen)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1½ teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 big handful of spinach
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 240mls | 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 - 2 medjool dates or 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup (add to taste)
- Mash the raspberries up with a fork then add the chia seeds and maple syrup. Stir well and set aside for at least 20 minutes but up to 2 days before is ok as long as you keep it covered in the fridge.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust the amount of dates/maple syrup to suit your tastes. (I like to use 2 dates or 2 tablespoons of maple syrup as I have a sweet tooth!)
- Smear the raspberry chia jam around the inside of a glass with the back of a spoon.
- Pour in the smoothie and enjoy!
You might end up with a little leftover raspberry chia jam. It will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week and can be used as you would regular jam.